Saturday, January 2, 2016

Review of The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer *spoilers*

Hi readers. Happy 2016! Sorry I have been m.i.a. but life happens. My holiday season was fabulous but I am glad it is over and we are on to a new year.

I was writing a review earlier on Goodreads and noticed the Goodreads' 2016 Reading Challenge. I read 65 books last year,out of 50 I set my goal for, so this year I upped it to 75. Shouldn't be a problem, unless I get accepted to graduate school (which I will hear about soon). I have already read 1 this year. :D

So, let's get down to the review. I read the entire Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer in about 2 months. I borrowed them digitally from my library, so I had to wait a few weeks. I read the last 2 books in the same week. I TORE through them. I read them so fast I skimmed whole paragraphs because I just wanted to know what happened!  Thus, this review is for all 4 of the books.DO NOT continue to read past the book you have read, or past the numbered list below if you have not read any of them.

1. Cinder
2. Scarlet
3. Cress
4. Winter

This series takes some of our favorite female fairy tale leads, and their stories, and turns them on their heads. It's a mix of fairy tale meets steampunk meets sci fi. I absolutely love it!

********* SPOILERS BELOW*********
Cinder is the first book and it sets the stage. It takes place in the future, in a world after WW IV. The Earth is divided into certain colonies, and New Beijing is where this story takes place. Well, mostly in New Beijing. Also, there are colonies on the moon, which is referred to as Luna. You meet Cinder, a gifted cyborg who just happens to be a cyborg (Cinderella). You meet her awful step-mother and two step-sisters, one of which you will love and the other you will hate. Cinder's one friend is her family's servant-droid, Iko, who has the BEST personality. Cinder meets Prince Kai when he needs his assistant-droid fixed and their lives begin to intertwine. In this book, Cinder must find out who she really is.
********* SPOILERS BELOW for Book 2*********
Scarlet is book two and it starts with Cinder in prison. Here we meet Scarlet, a young woman who helps her grandmother run the family farm (Red Riding Hood). Scarlet is completely unaware of the dangerous life her Grandmother used to live, nor the secrets she has kept, and gets tangled up in her Grandmother's disappearance. Scarlet meets Wolf, a street fighter, who she is inexplicably attracted to, and is very dangerous. Their paths cross with Cinder and together they try to stay ahead of the crazy Lunar queen Levana.

********* SPOILERS BELOW for Book 3*********
Book 3 is Cress, in which we meet Cress, a brilliant, beautiful hacker who lives in a satellite orbiting Luna (Rapunzel). Her only companion is Little Cress, a computer program that she designed. Sadly her boss is Queen Levana, who sends her after Cinder and her accomplice, Captain Thorne. Cinder and her posse help Cress escape her tower, I mean, satellite, and Cress helps them with their ongoing ordeal against Queen Levana. 

********* SPOILERS BELOW for Book 4*********
The final book is Winter, where we are introduced to Winter, a princess of Luna. She is beautiful and sadly, quite crazy from Lunar Sickness. She is the step-daughter of Queen Levana, who is beloved by her people, unlike the queen. Winter joins Cinder's cause and together, along with Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Captain Thorne, Iko, and Jacin (Winter's childhood friend and guard), they end the Lunar Queen's mad reign. 
 *****************************************************************************
If you love fairy tales, love strong female characters, and sci-fi, please read this.Check out Marissa' Meyer's website  here.
Author's Twitter. 

Please go check this series out!

No comments: