Friday, September 25, 2015

What's lurking in your toothpaste?

I switched toothpastes as I connected the dots between SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and canker sores and I am still getting used to it. I looked at the back of every single toothpaste we carry at the health food store I work for and the best ones to me were Weleda products. They make several flavors: Salt (weird, right?), Calendula, Plant gel, and Ratahania. Never heard of the last one. I chose to try a travel size of Salt toothpaste and it is quite odd. Definitely has a salty taste but also peppermint. I am going to keep using it and dump my Tom's toothpaste (fennel) b/c it has SLS in it. Plus, Tom's of Maine is owned by Colgate-Palmolive.

So why is SLS bad? Well, some studies have shown that SLS is irritating to the mucous membranes and even has carcinogens! Plus it can cause more canker sores and thank you, I have had enough of them. I am going to try this and see how it goes. Bonus, Weleda toothpastes are free of fluorides, detergents, and synthetic fragrances, colors, and preservatives. Yay!

Wanna read more about it? Here are some links

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx

*http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-sodium-lauryl-sulfate.htm

There is a snopes.com article that is an opposing view but I cant link it right now.

Also, there are lots of scary things in your toothpaste. Look up yours at ewg.org and see for yourself.

Cheers. More gluten free to come, I swear.


No comments: