Tuesday, September 4, 2012

this is a rant

I love reading. I really love reading.I enjoy editing too. I really hate reading poorly edited books, novellas, etc.  With the new age of self publication and e-publishing, editing is falling by the wayside, and its making me insane. I cannot finish a perfectly good story if it's full of grammatical and spelling errors. Authors, if you're going to publish, however you do it, hire an editor. Hell, give your manuscript to a trusted friend. Just have someone edit it please! The slew of poorly written (and edited) stories I have recently read makes me want to never write again. Or at least stop reading all these new, e-published works.

So, the moral is: just because you wrote it, doesn't mean you can't have someone edit it. I had one author tell me she/he doesn't fix the mistakes, that's what he/she has a publisher for. I wil never read any of his/her works again. Don't be self righteous just because you're an author, you're making us all look bad. Please , have someone proofread before you publish.

End rant.

1 comment:

sherry fundin said...

I agree with your rant. Not too long ago I read a book that the editing was so bad that I didn't know if I could finish it. But I did. I think there have only been two books, out of thousands that I couldn't finish. This one had me laughing all the way through it, when I wasn't stumbling over the poor editing.I could just picture the book as a half hour sitcom. It was such a shame because it could have been such a great read and one I could have highly recommended.