Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Gluten-free tortillas

Last night I made some pre-packed Indian food, that I get from work, and had a hankering for naan. I searched Pinterest (my Pinterest profile here) and found some great recipes, but most call for ingredients I didn't have on hand (apparently I need yeast at all times LOL) . Then I realized that the Otto's Cassava Flour bag HAS a recipe for gluten-free/paleo/AIP tortillas on the back, so I tried that out. (Otto's Naturals)

This is the 2nd time I have used the cassava flour. I scored a free bag at the GF/AF Expo in Worcester last year and haven't used it often, obviously. I followed the directions, wound up adding a bit more water as mine was too dry, and made 4 tortillas. I realized that I desperately need a rolling pin, as I rolled the balls of dough in between 2 sheets of parchment paper and used the olive oil spray can as a roller, which did work, kind of. (I have a separate tab open now browsing Amazon for one. Any recommendations?) The first one was fabulous and was eaten right away. The 2nd one burned a bit but it was still edible and tasty. The 3rd & 4th were a bit thicker so they took longer and were a bit more gooey. They were really good with the Bombay potatoes and rice (yes, I know, lots of starch). These tortillas are great even on their own! I will definitely be refining this in the future.
rolled out
1st one!
dinner

 I also printed out some naan recipes from Pinterest and will experiment with those. I'll let you know what I find.

Also, some great news: my awesome place of employment, the Orleans Whole Food Store, featured my blog on their Facebook page! This is an honor and I am very grateful. Thank you Don, Janis, Heidi and Cori (and all my coworkers for your support). :)  Check out the FB page and come by the shop some time! It's open Monday-Saturday 8:30 a.m.- 6 p.m., and 9 a.m.-6 p.m. on Sundays. There is a fantastic group of folks who work there, including me :P.
Until next time...love, love, love.

edit: For late lunch today I had a quesadilla, with Daiya cheddar style cheeze slices. YUMMY!

No comments: