Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Review of Against the Grain Gourmet Sesame bagels


Readers, you should know I am very honest about my reviews and, honestly, I do not like these Against The Grain Gourmet Sesame bagels. 

Back story:

I kept hearing about these bagels and seeing customers buy them (I work at a local natural/whole food store) so I thought, okay, I will try these. Customers seem to like them and maybe I will too. 

End result: 
Nope. Do not like. Reasons? Here's 5:
1. They are a mess of crumbles and flakes.
2.. They are not pre-cut. Who has time to cut their bagels? After letting them thaw....
3. The hole in the middle is bigger than the bagel.
4. Taste? What taste?
5. They're chewy (perhaps my toast-r-oven settings are off?)

No thank you. Now these are supposed to be "gourmet". What does a gourmet bagel entail I wonder...having never eaten one, I am not sure. 
Pros:
1. These are made in a dedicated gluten free facility. 
2. The company is owned and run by a celiac-family in VT. 
3. They use local ingredients as much as they can (according to their site). 
4. Ingredients are great. (for ex: Sesame bagel Ingredients from their site:  Tapioca starch, milk, eggs, mozzarella cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, vegetable rennet), non-GMO canola oil, sesame seeds, salt, sesame oil.
  Okay, I can stand behind that. No crap, no random flours, non-GMO, great. But...overall, I'll give these bagels 3 out of 5.  However, I will be finishing this bag of bagels as they're $8.99. Perhaps they will grow on me and my tune will change. I'll let you know.

Their website: 
You'll have to scroll down to find the exact bagels. 
Have you tried these bagels or any of their products? Let me know what you think! 

No comments: